Pet Travel

High-quality care at affordable rates

Animal Health Certificates (AHC)

An Animal Health Certificate is a document that is required if you wish to take your dog, cat or ferret to a country within the EU or Northern Ireland. The Animal Health Certificate must be completed and certified by an Official Veterinarian that has been approved by the APHA (Animal and Plant Health Agency), within 10 days of travel.

Step 1. Microchip

Dogs and cats must be microchipped.

Step 2. Rabies Vaccination

Dogs and cats must be vaccinated against rabies (please note that all pets must be at least 12 weeks old before they can be vaccinated).

Step 3. AHC Completion

Clients must arrange to visit us to obtain an Animal Health Certificate for their pet, no more than 10 days before travel to the EU or Northern Ireland.

4. Bon Voyage!

The AHC is valid for onward travel within the EU or Northern Ireland for 4 months after the date of issue and re-entry to the UK for 4 months after the date of issue.

AHC Example Cerificate

Requirements for travel to the EU and Northern Ireland
  • Microchip with up-to-date details.
  • Valid rabies vaccination – these can be given from 12 weeks of age and must be given more than 21 days BEFORE completing the AHC.
  • Boosters are given every 3 years if given in the UK (EU vaccines may differ).
  • An AHC must be completed by an Official Veterinarian (a UK vet with a special qualification, not all vets have this) within 10 days of your outward journey to the EU.
  • Dogs travelling to Finland, Malta and Northern Ireland must receive tapeworm treatment at the time of completing the AHC. This must be done not more than 120 hours, and not less than 24 hours before travel.
  • Before re-entering the UK dogs must receive tapeworm treatment by a local vet. This must be done not more than 120 hours, and not less than 24 hours before they return to the UK.
  • Up to 5 animals can be included on one certificate. If you are travelling with more animals than this then a different export certificate is required. If they are of different species then a certificate per species is required E.g. A dog certificate and a cat certificate.
  • AHCs are only appropriate if the owner is transporting the animals, or if the owner is travelling within 5 days of the animal.
  • AHCs provide 4 months of onward travel within the EU and subsequent return to the UK within this time.
  • Please complete the following questionnaire in BlOCK CAPITAL letters or TYPE and email to at least 5 days before your AHC appointment.
  • Animal Health Certificates are available to collect from 9 .30 am to 6 pm Monday to Friday and 9.30 am to 12 pm on Saturdays.
  • You must complete ALL fields, including your pet’s microchip number or your request will be rejected.
  • Incorrectly completed forms may result in your pet being refused travel.
  • Please state your preferred collection date.
  • Vaccine card/old pet passport that contains the rabies vaccine history. If you have neither of these then please ask our reception team to check if we have evidence of this on your clinical history.
  • The pets who are travelling.
  • The owner who is travelling with the pets – you will be required to sign an owner declaration.

Book An Appointment

Are you a registered client?

High Quality Care at Reasonable Prices

Hayes - Petwell House

319 Station Road, South Hayes UB3 4JF
Tel: 020 8848 1818

Feltham - Animals Are Us

222 Uxbridge Road, Feltham TW13 5DL
Tel: 020 8893 7888

If you require out of hours emergency care, please contact:

North Surrey Veterinary Emergencies
Tel: 020 8783 2850

Book An Appointment

Fill out the form below, and we will be in touch shortly.

For new clients, please register here.

Contact Information
Pet Information
Preferred Appointment Details